Tuesday, July 3, 2007

He did what?!

Patience is a relative term, especially when it comes to relatives. What works for some, may not be enough for others.

For the longest kind of time, I felt it was my duty to exhibit patience when dealing with my father. Although we began to get along better in his latter years, he always knew how to push my buttons. We clashed on a very basic level and I'm still not sure why. We had a rocky relationship from a (my) very early age which carried on into adulthood. I found the best way to deal with him was avoidance. I know that sounds horrible but it is true and it was effective. So that was the way I chose to deal with my father for most of the time. I think this may have suited him as well, although I do know he loved me, too. It's just that when we got in the same room together, more often than not, tempers would flair and we'd each get angry and... You get the idea. We lived in the same city and my out of town sister saw him probably more often than I did. Please don't miss understand: I loved my father and I still love his memory. There were many good memories I have from growing up and I'm starting to remember more of them. That's a good thing. I wish he was still here to talk things over with. I miss him terribly still: even after more than a year. I expect I will always miss him and my mother (she died in 2001).

Patience. Was it a good strategy in my Dad's case? I think so. It allowed us to be civil and share some good times in his later life.

Now I find my stores of patience drawn upon once again: with my son. He is three and will hopefully be four someday. Until you have experienced it firsthand, there is no way to describe the emotional turmoil that a three year old can generate. Suffice it to say, it's awesome at times. He can go from a perfectly affable, happy little boy to full blown temper tantrum demon (also an awesome sight at times) in the blink of an eye. Similarly, he can go back to his own sweet self almost as fast, sometimes. It is frikkin' amazing.

He's young and is still trying out emotions to see how they feel (and how they might benefit him). It's what he should be doing.

We (His Mommy and I) both dislike the whiny periods. Enough said on that.

I am keenly aware of how my relationship with my father affected me and my life. I'm in therapy once a week partly because of it. I do NOT want my relationship with my son to be the same and I'm striving to not become my own father. I'm hoping that since I'm aware of the potential, I can guide us in a different direction. Maybe our path will not be so rocky. I pray that will be so.

"I swear there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell.
But I'll never know by livin', only my dyin' will tell."
Blood Sweat and Tears 'And When I Die'

That opens a whole other can of worms. Maybe in a later post, someday, I'll get into that question. Not today, however.

I'll leave you with one more quotation from that song:
"And when I die, and when I'm gone
there'll be, one child born, in this world
to carry on, to carry on."

Thoughts?

Pax,
Nelson

4 comments:

LB said...

A couple of thoughts actually:

1.)Blood, Sweat, and Tears kicks ass! damned good choice sir!

2.)Considering I have no children, you are correct in your assertion that I cannot possibly grasp that kind of "emotional turmoil" as you put it. I DO however, feel that I can comment to the idea of not wanting to become your father.

I also, love my father dearly (he is still around), but there will always be a distance there I feel I need to maintain (though my reasons are not as noble as your's) so I get that whole idea.

3.)On Patience: much like the light side of the "force", patience will forever be equally difficult as it is rewarding. nuff said there!

also, just an FYI: Great post man!

WNelWeb said...

Swift commenting, LB!
I've always been a big fan of BS&T.
I wonder if this is a common feeling among men: not wanting to become your father. I actually said that to my Daddy once when I was about thirteen. I've felt the shame and awkwardness of that moment ever since. Of course, I meant that I wanted to be my own person, but that ain't the way it played at the time.
I know my son wants to be like me in some ways already. After tending to his business, he likes to sit on the toilet and read my novels. Deeply touching and cute and funny as hell all at once, to see him do this. Of course, at three, he can't read yet, but he's seen me do that and wants to be like me.
Does the yearning for independence start around teenage years? Probably so. I better enjoy it while I can.

BTW, nothing noble about my reasons: avoidance of conflict has always been a big issue with me.

I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

LB said...

Yeah avoidance is a big problem of mine as well. My problem has always been one of ego with my parents. I've always felt myself above, or in some way better than they are/were. It has taken me a considerable ammount of time to both admit that i do this, and thusly do something about it. Its a struggle. You on the other hand, seem to not have the same sort of issue (though i only have this blog to go off of). It would seem that you see a sense of right and wrong in the relationships you and you family have. For me, to simply have a clear definition of right and wrong is the struggle.

WNelWeb said...

I can understand and appreciate how that can be a struggle. In fact, defining right and wrong in any context can be a daunting task. Many people have made a life's work out of doing just that. On a personal (in our chat parental) level, it can be even harder, because you know each person involved intimately and as closely as you could ever know a person. It has been my fate (curse or blessing, maybe both) to see all sides to an issue. I sometimes can't decide who or what is right and wrong. Of course, you know that there are degrees of each, even as there are shades of gray between black and white. And they are not always diametrically opposed.

Ah crap: I'm rambling now.

'A fool's thoughts for a fool's wages.' I don't know if somebody said that or not, but if they didn't they should have.

Life is hard sometimes, but so far it still beats the alternative.

Pax,
Nelson