Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wednesday the 13th

Lord help me, Friday the 13th has come on Wednesday!

Woke this morning and everything went right. My love was happy and our son was happy and cooperative with nary a whine.

Now, it's this evening and I've screwed the pooch pretty much completely.

That's right: had a fight with my Love.

It was a not-so-stupid fight over feelings and (my) lack of perception. I had created a painful and upsetting situation for my wife to which I was oblivious. But I'm well aware of it now. It's not something I would have done had I been aware. In addition, she feels that I have unjustly accused her of being uncaring about our son's feelings over some of his stuff.

I didn't mean to do any of that, but I can (now) see how it might well be perceived.

She's gone off to bed without me.

Yes, I've apologized most sincerely, but as far as I can tell, to no avail.

Being aware of other people's perceptions is not always an easy thing to do. You may think you know what's going on and be fairly content with your lot and be totally off base. Communication is certainly the key, but sometimes there is a breakdown in the com-lines of which no one is aware. It's important to forestall those breakdowns and it is wise to be on the alert for emotional status queues as much as possible. This is especially true for those you love and with whom you live. They will be with you always, you hope: don't take them for granted. Pay attention to them and learn to know them and love them better with every day you have.
OR
One day you may wake up one day and find you are alone.

Thoughts?

Pax,
N.

(p.s. I've got Prince's Purple Rain playing endlessly in my head tonight.)

No comments: