Thursday, June 14, 2007

Where's my computer?

My better half decided that more space was needed for her craft-works. OK.
My (our) computers have to be moved. OK.
I moved the main one today and fortunately, I like the new location. Unfortunately, the other one won't fit in the new location. So it looks as though I've got to find a new place for the secondary PC. And I'm going to have to install wireless cards to each PC, so they can talk to each other and the laptop.

It will be good thing.

Except that wireless networking is still pretty much midnight voodoo magic to me. I have set up the wireless router for the laptop and that works great! The laptop is happily surfing the internet in all its wireless glory. Now for the interesting part. My router requires a password that, to my knowledge, it has never been assigned. I haven't a clue what it might be nor how to find it. Hell, I don't even know what the user ID is having also never assigned one to the router. But the laptop surfs.

The wired network runs through this same router. The two PC's talk together very nicely. Well, they did before I moved one of them into a new location. For the life of me, I cannot get the two PC's to talk to or recognize the laptop and vice versa. Maddening. Maybe putting all into the wireless network will allow them to speak to each other. Wish me luck.

Any thoughts you may have are welcome at this point.

Pax,
N.

p.s. Meanwhile, the fight we had last night has blown over and all is forgiven (I think, hope and pray).

2 comments:

Shane said...

I am sure your router has some sort of default admin password (And login)...consult the manual and you should be running in no time. Though I would WEP encrypt (or RSA if you can) encrypt the network..

WNelWeb said...

Will do. Thanks very much for the tip.