Thursday, July 10, 2008

Reaction

I was reading a post over at my friend's blog (thanks for that, Musings!) and it got me to thinking. I don't normally like to think overly much because then I have to be aware of things on more than a reactionary level and sometimes that can be painful for me.


A lovely by-product of depression.


Anyway, the post was a poem, I think. I'm not sure what it's from, but it was credited. It deals with (as I interpret it) delusion and desire. It mentions a dying nation. I'm taking that to mean our nation, but it might not. It could be any nation, I suppose, where there are rich and poor people. You can read it here, if you wish.


Our nation is not yet dying, but it's definitely in need of some reshaping. What's important isn't defined by the dollar rising and sinking, but I think we let ourselves feel that way sometimes. It's easier than facing whatever personal issues we may be having. Introspection is difficult when faced with price crisis and the need to have the next best thing. It seems that greed has become equated with need.


For example: I would love to have a new SLR type digital camera. I really would. I feel like I need and deserve it. But WTF!?!? I don't even have a freekin' JOB! How dare I want a new camera? How could I delude myself into thinking of it as a need? The human mind is infinitely clever at ways of deceiving itself. Mine is no exception. New camera does NOT equal need (in my case). But I do want it...


Of course, what is important is life and how we choose live it.


A new system of values must needs be developed and implemented. It must start at a personal level and move into the mainstream once begun. I don't see how it can work any other way.


I just wish I knew how to do it.


Thoughts?

Pax,
N

3 comments:

Getfuzzyfan said...

Interesting thoughts. Sadly, I must agree...

Anonymous said...

Nelson,
I'm honored to see that my little insignificant post generated a rather important post from you!

I must clarify a few things:

* the post is not a poem, but lyrics from the musical Hair.

* The musical is about 40 years old, and though it mainly focused on hippies and a generation against the establishment, I think it still applies today.

* the parallels that you found in the lyrics are definitely ones that still resound in most of us (well, those of us who are old enough); they strike at the chord.

There are too many things that are dying here. America, I was told, was a country that went against the grain; Americans, I learned, were a people who stood for rights (their own and those of others) and took action when necessary. I feel that that spirit has been chipped away, eroded, corroded and corrupted.

I thank you (I'm honored!) that the post was such an inspiration, albeit a rather strong one.

om shanti

WNelWeb said...

I am familiar with the musical, but I didn't remember those lyrics. Thanks for the clarification!
I guess it really did speak to me.